Saturday, February 18, 2006

Does Family Matter?!


My grandma’s older sis just passed away. Mama knocks on the door at 11:03 Friday morning.

G screams “Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!”.
Mom says “Mam Kubwa (her nickname) just passed away”

I took a shower, picked up the dishdasha I was going to wear and started ironing it. Mom walks into the room and asks me to iron her scarf for her. Just to see how she is feeling after hearing the terrible news I said
“She always used to be on N (My sister) is case, asking her to sit like a lady for once. Thank god my sister is feminine, married and happy now:”

Mom laughs and says “Ya she used to lecture me for letting your sister be a tomboy”

25 minutes later we go to her step sons house in Adheeba. Not wanting to walk in, me and my elder brother run away to the mosque for Jum3a prayers. As soon as we got back to the house me and my bro see mom crying like she was a 14 year old kid that just lost her mother. (Mam Kubwa is the woman that raised my mom).

In the last couple of years, my mom has not been in good terms with her due to some family issues. The main problem actually started about 5 years ago when my grandma’s step kids did something to my mom n dad. It's something I can’t explain because its pretty bad and i don't want to write about family problems in the net.
Anyway neglecting that issue grandma used to force my mom to visit family members all the time but my mom would refuse to do so since no one visited Us or came to our house to check on her. Yet she visited them or at least stayed in touch with them through phone calls. Not only that, but they also had the nerve to call her and ask for help when in need and wouldn’t do the same if she was in trouble.

Mother finally gave up in being a family person, Grandma always was on her case about that and one day me mama couldn’t take it, so she asked Grandma to stay out of her life when it comes to such problems. Mom explained that she is not a young girl anymore and she can take decisions by her self. She explained that she can’t see what the point of carrying about ppl that cared-less about her. She also explained that Grandma has been on her case for about 4 years now and Mama’s only reason for staying quiet was because of how much she respected her. But now she just can’t take it anymore.

That’s the reason my mom felt guilty, she cried like a baby. Since that fight (4 Years ago) they haven’t spoken to each other as often. Mom only got to see granda once after the fight. She cried on the day of the funeral hoping that grandma forgave her before she passed away. “Was I right or was I wrong?!” after washing her face, mom could not help but ask that question.

I personally am not a family guy. You ask about me, I ask about you. You visit me, I will also visit you. That goes to friends, family (as in cousin & aunts) and also Siblings. Most of the time, I would visit or call just to fulfil my part of being a family/friend member but then I need to see that it’s a two way street. If it’s not then I’ll probably say hi to you and have a laugh or two when we bump into each other but do not ask me where have you been?1 its been a while and im angry too.

Enough with the bullshit man will be my answer.

G

9 comments:

Lym said...

Allah Yerham7a. and 7usna Allah 3azakum.

No one can say who was in the wrong. We don't know the details of their conflict. If your mum believes she did nothing wrong, then she shouldn't feel guilty.

Najah said...

allah yer7amha u yighmid roo7ha aljana.
inshalllah khair. sometimes people who should be the ones beside you never be, and those never related by blood are the closest, thats life i guess....

Bullshit is Bullshit, sometimes all people think alike, and end up doing the same thing.

I wonder why this tomboy issue runs in the family :p :p :p..

God blessssss you COUZ.

Degoat said...

yar7mna jameeee3an inshallah..

I guess to be close to your family you will have to keep quiet when they do you wrong..
Problem is I'm one of them lunatics that believes "if u do somethin' wrong tell it regardless how its supposed to be told, you've done the right thing by speaking up, and its selfish of him/her not to accept the truth..
Cause I’m always standing there thinking “If he wasn’t a selfish person, he wouldn’t do something like that”

Cousin – LoL Who isn’t or wasn’t a tomboy in our family

Bravecat said...

I have a tight 7 people family, and I am so happy... Less family, fewer problems. True I don't have an army of cousins to ask for help when needed, but that makes me all the more responsible with my life. And I don't have to take bull#*&^ from anybody. I hate family conflicts.

I don't think family should oblige you to do what you don't want to do. Family should be your refuge, your pillar. Not your (unasked for)shrink, financial advisor, doctor, mentor, whatever.

:^)

I am sorry for your loss. God rest her soul.

Degoat said...

QC - thats how things should be.. but our community here does not believe in that.. Everything in this part of the world is culture or religion..

Society says, society ask you to do, Even when society farts u must stay quiet.
Even though u r like "Daaaaaamn it stinks" :P

G

Luisa said...

U2 iron
Good

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your Mam Kubwa. Just discovered your blog and saw you like cuban music, you should check out batanga.com

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read swimsuit models striping Guard ps remove spyware Superior computer tease pictures of models in swimsuits sites Latin but Altoona moving company Interior design courses brisbane 2 piece skirted swimsuits infiniti wiring

Anonymous said...

Battery Powered Fan With Clamp