Saturday, December 31, 2005

I'm not a businessman?!


I know a couple of ppl that have their on business in Oman. Some had to close down, some are in the same level when they started and some are doing a bit better. Out of curiosity I ask them to make their businesses grow, larger, bigger but they all have the same answer. The big fish will eat the small fish alive. I personally think that’s bullshit.

Our system here in Oman is not so bad. I’m sure we’ve heard of a story or two, about big Businessmen (Mr.A) eating an other big businessman (Mr.B) and he is still trying to recover from his lose. That shit happens but it happens everywhere. I say Mr.B trusted Mr.A when he was not supposed to and plus we all know that even your bro can cheat ya when you are speaking big ching ching.

Our system/the business law in Oman is not so bad!! i say it again. You can open a grade 4, grade 3, grade 2, grade 1 or even a grade excellent business if you want, depending on the business u r trying to open and the requirement needed. But there are some things you should read just to educate your self instead of just jumpin in a river that you have never heard of before. Read the law we have here in this country so you could know whats your limit.

Everyday I wonder, why aren’t we like Dubai?! Why don’t we open up our own businesses instead of depending on a fixed monthly salary and complain its too little?!
Questions cloud my head with why!!!

Businessmen here don’t believe in investing in the same country. They go outside as it’s a quicker way to make money. We don’t have too many tourists and the locals we have aren’t enough to keep this business runnin’. Or maybe we just have a fucked up mentality and business is just not our thing.

G

10 comments:

Luisa said...

Maybe making things less complicated would help also foreigners ...

Degoat said...

I must agree with pizaaqueen. If you are going to speak about stuff such as clothes and bla bla.. then we must open up to foreigners, have them invest in the country, Oman has to be a multi national country to have buyers/customers spend money.

But with theses kind of business, the ppl that support you and that might distroy you are the customers them selves, not the other business men in the country.. thats a gamble you play with the ppl that live next to you..

G

Najah said...

Vio, walla hmm i dont agree,what about those who travell all the way to dubai for shopping. I think we have no vareity no competetion which leads to high pricess...

I so agree with u G, and i think we are just one country who likes to complain and do nothing, we have approtunities but who takes them!!!(good example baba)

Degoat said...

Naja7o- we are like that, we are lazy ppl in a way, we don't like thinking, even when we do think we try to minimise it as much as we can, we think thats the best way to simplify stuff..

Nameless- I agree with what you have to say, but one thing i have to add/say is that the government must push/convince us to invest within the country. Like UAE, when you build a building, the government covers 50% of the expenses and if you can regain a certain amount that has a target date to it, then they give you the other 50% back to you. Meaning you built the building for free and the government is thanking you cause that was one reason why the country's income is higher now..

G

Degoat said...

LoL.. n i know who u r :P

Bravecat said...

I don't know who neither of you are, but would you please update already??

Happy Eid!

=^..^=

muscati said...

Excellent topic. Too bad I didn't see it till today (why not join the Oman Blog Aggregator?)

Let me put in my 2 baisas. I graduated from uni in 1995. Oman at that point was 9 years into a really bad recession which the government refused to admit. The situation was bad. Most companies were surviving on cash and goodwill that they accumulated in the years before the economy went bad. I worked in a bank in the credit department and I was shocked by the amount of borrowing that companies were carrying- even the best companies were leveraged up the wazoo. I went to visit small businesses in the interiors and old men who've been in business thirty years were almost in tears about how they could barely cover their interest. I watched my father's company shrink in size as they continued to sell assets to keep afloat.

Seeing all that I became extremely risk averse and I couldn't take a risk of going into business myself. I chose to work in a high paying field and work hard to get myself into a position where the pay would be good enough to maintain a lifestyle that I was accustomed to without having to put capital of my own.

In the past 2 years Oman's economy has been doing quite well. Companies that hadn't seen profits since the mid 80's are finally swimming in cash. It is a good time to go into business if you're willing to take the risk. Don't look for the government to help you. They will wrap you and suffocate you in red tape. Omanisation laws might make it tough for you. But if you're willing to tough it out, now's the time to strike it out on your own.

I myself still can't make myself go out and do it.

Degoat said...

Muscati i loved your comment.
the law we had used to be bad i agree. But now after they've changed lots of things, they have also sent lots of Omanis (from the government sect) abroad, to study and work.

the government is opening up and its taking the right choices. Ppl are swimming in pools of cash. yet we don't have a business man's mentality. why?!

i think if the answer to this question gets to the government, and they try to fix it. Oman will be a much more well advanced country, not that we aren't getting there. we jumped some huge steps between 95-2005.

G

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Answering machine manual sony I like big butts song Bride mature russian